Saturday, August 04, 2012

How I did it - PEGASUS



Hello everyone!
Have you seen my drawing “Pegasus”? Ok, I’m going to show you how this work has been done.This is a good example of how I’m used to proceed. Let me tell you before, that it often happens that the idea comes to life while I’m actually working on it. This is the case.
I started with a fast sketch based on a reference picture. Initially, I just wanted to draw a white horse with a some trees in the background.I proceeded then with a very light hatching in order to define some volumes.At this time, I had the idea to turn the horse into a winged one, a Pegasus flying on a cloudy sky.  So I added the wing and a few lines where I would have approximately drawn the clouds.
Since I wanted to work on a more realistic drawing, I decided to use a blending stump, in addition to my fingers, to smudge my hatching. I also changed the hind legs position, in fact, I wanted my horse to fly, and then, I darkened the whole picture a bit. But I was not happy with the result, because the wing looked too small and static. So I changed the wings position, and kept on shading the whole drawing.
Before starting to smudge, I wanted to have an idea of how it would have looked. The lower part seemed a bit poor, but I decided not to care, for now. I started then to smudge with my fingers and with the blending stump.
While I was shading, I thought that, instead of aiming to hyper-realistic results, I wanted to give my drawing an epic look, and the classical approach would have perfectly suited the needs. So I stopped to look at the reference pictures for shadows, but only for some details.
The more we want a drawing to look realistic, the more we must pay attention to the relationship between the various shadows gradations. The outlines should disappear: in fact, they only have to be suggested by the contrasts between tones.
For details such as the mane, I definitely left the reference picture, because I preferred to give the various locks the shape I wanted, in order to achieve a more classical feel.
I proceeded gradually, darkening the various areas, step by step. I used a kneaded eraser to obtain the highlights, and a thin slice of a common eraser for the very sharp ones.  The lower part was definitely poor, so I changed my mind again, and decided to add some grass.
Rather than a flat terrain, I decided to play with different heights, in order to create a kind of basin, which would have given some emphasis to the movement of the wings (in fact the outline repeats the wings direction)
Ok, the drawing was almost done, it was just time to add some further details, and make shadows a bit smoother here and there. I choose to leave some blurriness at certain points, to suggest a bit of movement, but most of all, to ensure that the observer focuses on those details that I want.
As you can see, realism is just a matter of working a lot on tiny details, smooth nuances, tones relationships and slight variations. Or better said, a matter of patience. Well, I hope this helped a bit, feel free to contact me for any question, here, on my Facebook page, or through my website.
Have fun with drawing!

1 comment:

  1. This is a spectacular drawing ~ it 'moves' one allows one to take a deep breath and say.....BEAUTIFUL! Majestic, free, powerful thank you for this drawing

    ReplyDelete